A beacon of warm light + modern style.
The shape of the Michigan Left lamp is inspired by Michigan’s unique intersections, which are known locally as “Michigan Lefts.” Instead of a standard left turn, we make a right turn, followed by a U-turn - hence the lamp’s U-shaped design. Whether our interesting intersections improve traffic flow is up for debate, but there is no debate about the Michigan Left lamp - it’s a beacon of warm, inviting light that stands out from the crowd. The Michigan Left lamp creates a beautifully unique silhouette that adds a modern bent plywood touch to your bedside, next to the couch, on your desk, or anywhere you need some warm, inviting light.
Each lamp is handmade in my Troy, MI studio. Its modern, minimal aesthetic is courtesy of the hand-layered bent plywood construction which creates a stronger yet lighter material than solid wood. I start out with 13 layers of real wood that I glue, layer, mold, trim, sand, and finish by hand, to-order so each one is impeccably made and completely unique. Natural cork feet keep the lamp from sliding or rocking + protect your table from scratches. The matte oil finish creates a rich, natural look that’s durable and is water- and stain-resistant without requiring frequent re-application. It’s applied by hand to ensure complete coverage, optimal thickness and a durable hand-rubbed lustre, so the Michigan Left will keep it’s gorgeous good looks for years to come.
Handmade to order in about 4-6 weeks.
- Height: 18"
- Width: 15"
- Depth: 9"
- Plywood Thickness: 0.75"
- Weight: 4.5 lbs
- Shade: White Linen
- Cord: 9 foot woven fabric-wrapped cord in orange, blue, or green. Let me know if you’d like a specific color for your lamp and I will do my best to make it happen.
- Bulb Socket: Standard USA E26/MES • EU E27/ES with pull chain on/off switch
- Recommended Bulb (Not included): 40 - 60 Watt Incandescent or LED equivalent
- Plug: North American standard 110 Volt 2-prong. If you're purchasing this item for use outside of the United States, employ the adapter and voltage converter suited for your country.
- Each lamp is handmade from natural materials, so there will be some variation in color and wood grain.
You don’t have to take my word for it. Here’s what one of my lovely customers had to say about the Michigan Left:
"Gorgeous and well made with excellent attention to detail. No more fishing a cable out from behind my bedside tables .. to find the power switch. The wood layering is top notch, there are also four soft foot pads on the base that stop the lamps from rocking, and even the hole drilled for the pull chain is exactly centered and exquisitely finished.” - Colm